which kinds of AMD work withh FBSD?

Kent Stewart kstewart at owt.com
Tue May 25 00:42:54 PDT 2004

On Monday 24 May 2004 10:53 pm, Gary Kline wrote:
> On Mon, May 24, 2004 at 10:30:09PM -0700, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> > On Mon, May 24, 2004 at 09:45:08PM -0700, Gary Kline wrote:
> > > 	Fellow BSD'ers,
> > >
> > > 	What kinds of the newer AMD processors worth with FreeBSD?
> >
> > All.
> >
> > Kris
>
> Memory: 	  256MB DDR PC-2100
> Processor: 	  AMD Duron 1.4
> Hard drive: 	  40GB 7200 RPM
> Floppy: 	  SONY 1.44MB 3.5 DRIVE
> CD-ROM: 	  52x32x52 CDRW
> DVD-ROM: 	  None
> Modem: 	  56K Modem
> Network: 	  Integrated ethernet 10/100
> Video: 	  Integrated Graphics
> Sound: 	  Integrated sound
> Speakers: 	  2 Channel Stereo Speakers
> Input Devices: 	  PS/2 Keyboard & Scroll Mouse
> Case: 	  Mid Tower Case 400 WATTS
> Operating System: none
>

> 	(You're right, Kent, Seymour's law is still true...  So,
> 	this 1.4 should be plenty fast.)

It will be slow by modern standards but probably a lot faster than what
you are using now. I wouldn't buy it because it is a duron and not an
XP. That is sort of simiar to buying a Celeron and not a P-4. I don't
think the Duron's have either the data paths or bandwidth. Besides,
what I see is 2400+'s going for $80+ and the 133MHZ fsb is
IMPORTANT :). I also think that USB-2 is important for future options.

FWIW, none of my new systems have floppies and the smallest has 3 x 40GB
HDs. The new HDs all run ATA-133 and have 8MB of cache. I have about
40GB of mp3 and wma that I have created from CDs that I own and backup
on one of the 2400's. It isn't the one with the 3-40's :). None of the
on-board audio connect to the CD-Rom with a digital connection. Digital
extraction turns out to be very important when converting audio cds.

An ATA-133 controller is also important because you will find it
difficult to buy HDs under 120GB and the older mobo may not recognize
the newer, large ones. A 2400+ with ATA-133 HDs will do a buildworld in
18 minutes.

> 	Anyway, this one can be a starting point if/when I spring
> 	for it.  But what about the Video and Sound?  Are the FBSD
> 	problems going to ID the kind of chipsets on this board?

I happen to like Creative Audigy Sound Cards and only 5-current will
recognize it. I don't have a high opinion of on mobo sound but I am
using one. I definitely do not like on board video. Every system I have
had to support with on board video came up lacking but my fastest ftp
sessions come between 2 machines with onboard SiS NICs. In the end, my
only won't touch bias is on board video.

I am currently using 4-stable on that system with the Audigy and do
without sound on those days when I boot that system to FreeBSD. Most of
the time it is running XP because I have to maintain my Nomad Zen2 from
XP. It also shares a monitor, keyboard, and mouse with the 3 systems
that run FreeBSD almost 100%.The 2 - 2400's run FreeBSD most of the
time. The 1400 Duron will probably take 2-3x longer.

> 	Would you gents, Chris, Kent, Kris, recommend a second or
> 	second and third fan?  The AMD's are known to run hot.
> 	This is at computersonics, just down the hill and a few/several
> 	bloks east.

The last 2 2400+ XPs that I bought had enough fans on them. They run
setiathome 24x7, which keeps the cpu at 100%. I have one in an Antec
Sonata case and the other in one of the other Antec's. The Sonata has
its name spelled in holes at the top of both sides of the case but only
has a 120mm push fan. The Sonata power supply has 2 fans that help keep
the system cool. It runs 4-5oC cooler than the other 2400+ in the other
Antec case that has both a push and pull 120mm case fans. The HDs pull
out from the side, which makes accessing them very easy. Almost all of
my cases have 3 or more fans that cool the cases. I don't want to lose
a system because the case got too hot because the only fan died.

Think about what you will be content with for x-more years and go with
it. If it is the 1400, so be it. When I buy something, I want to know
all of the negatives so that what I buy is the combo that irritates me
the least :).

Kent

--
Kent Stewart