which kinds of AMD work withh FBSD?

Kent Stewart kstewart at owt.com
Mon May 24 22:26:09 PDT 2004

On Monday 24 May 2004 09:45 pm, Gary Kline wrote:
> 	Fellow BSD'ers,
>
> 	What kinds of the newer AMD processors worth with FreeBSD?
> 	It might be better long-run to buy a barebones system than
> 	mess with upgrading 5-yr-old boxen.  I'm thinking of something
> 	in the >= 2GHz rangewith 512MB and a 60 or 80G drive.  So far
> 	I've stuck with Intel since my first 8085/8088.  No problems
> 	with Unix.  If AMD is a good enough clone, it may be time to
> 	give it a shot.

I don't know if it is still true but for quite a while I thought they
were the only Intel class cpu that understood Seymour's principle. It
doesn't matter how many cpus you have if you don't have the data paths
and bandwidth to load and store data. A little X/MP was faster than a
Cray 2 because of memory contention.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart