Broken Disk

Jason Dusek jdusek at cs.uiowa.edu
Mon May 24 13:55:58 PDT 2004

 > So, anyway, user questions should not be surprising.
 > (But please ask reasonably specific questions or it is hard to
 > give a relevant answer)
 >
 > ////jerry

Fair Enough,

My question is 'how do I edit a disklabel?' I assume that I am supposed
to add an 'e' partition, but it seems that the c partition has eaten my
disk. The partition file looks like this:

<...stuff in the front omitted...>
8 partitions:
#        size   offset    fstype   [fsize bsize bps/cpg]
   c: 78164037        0    4.2BSD     2048 16384    89   # (Cyl.    0 -
12406*)

Does this mean that my disk is 'dangerously dedicated'? Isn't the fstype
supposed to be 'ufs'? How do I toggle soft updates? I want to use this
disk as backup media, so is one undifferentiated partition a good idea?
--