Excess Kernel Options

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Mon May 24 08:21:40 PDT 2004

SonServers Christian Web Hosting wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I need to recompile my kernel on a server to add quota
> support. I'm thinking while I'm doing that, I should go
> ahead and remove everything else I don't need like SCSI,
> RAID, etc.
>
> The thing I'm wondering about is: I have no use for USB,
> Firewire, etc. on this server. Even though the server has
> USB on it, if I compile the kernel without USB support will
> that cause problems?

No.  I do it all the time.  You can remove any device from your
kernel that you're not using, even if it exists in your machine.
The thing to remember about that is that devices often have
dependencies that aren't always obvious. (i.e., using a USB HDD
requires SCSI support)

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies