disk recovery

Joachim Dagerot freebsd at dagerot.nu
Mon May 24 06:34:59 PDT 2004

I used to think just like you. I thought I found the perfect balance
between being on a budget and still having some kind of data security
by using the Vinum software raid.

So I stored the first 10 hours of video and 4k of still shots of my
newly borned first child on the raid, and everything went well until
one day when the kid crawled upfront the server and started to switch
on switch of with a rate only a kid can achieve.

One disk broke and I never managed to get it up again. So all memories
from my sons first year where lost.

Also I got no support whatsoever from this list when I asked for help
to replace and recover the RAID system, so I was quite alone with
vinum at that point...

Today I have a hardware raid with a four disks volume and a fifth disk
as spare. Some of the directories are each night copied to another
machine for backup. Now and then (unfortunately mostly 'then') I burn
newly taken pictures and films to DVD and put them in a box on my
office (just in case of fire back home).

If you have 400Gb of data I assume it's not material produced by
yourself but perhaps downloaded films, music etc. If your'e on a
budget, don't backup that. But do backup everything you've created
yourself.

So, don't repeat my misstake!

//Joachim