Proper way to start a program at log-on

Gerard Seibert gerard-seibert at rcn.com
Sun May 23 14:58:15 PDT 2004

Since I am still new to this OS, I thought that I would check to make sure
that I am doing this correctly.

On my WinXP machine, I run the Distributed Net 'dnetc' program. Further
information regarding this program is available here:
http://www.distributed.net//docs/tutor_clients.php.

To start the program in the background I need to issue the following
command: 'dnetc -quiet'. Since I want to start this program automatically
each time I log on, I placed that command at the end of my '.bash_profile'
file. I then placed the shutdown command 'dnetc -shutdown' in the
'/etc/rc.shutdown' file.

Since everything seems to be workings correctly, I assume that I have done
this correctly. If there is a better way to do this, I would appreciate
receiving the information.

Thanks!

Gerard E. Seibert
gerard-seibert at rcn.com