can't startx from user after upgrade

hoe-waa at hawaii.rr.com hoe-waa at hawaii.rr.com
Sat May 22 23:41:44 PDT 2004

Hello

I have just successfully upgrade gnome 2.4 to gnome 2.6.
Well, at least that's the message on the screen after upgrade. :)

Before the upgrade all was working well. After the upgrade
I have some problems. I cannot startx from a regular user login.

When trying, I get the following errors:

$startx
xauth: timeout in locking authority file /home/robert/.Xauthority
xauth: timeout in locking authority file /home/robert/.Xauthority
xauth: timeout in locking authority file /home/robert/.Xauthority
xauth: timeout in locking authority file /home/robert/.Xauthority

Fatal server error:
Cannot move old logfile "/var/log/XFree86.0.log.old"

When reporting a problem (blah, blah)

giving up.
xinit: No such file or directory (errno 2): unable to connect to X server
xinit: No such process (errno 3): Server error.
xauth: timeout in locking authority file /home/robert/.Xauthority
$

If I startx from a root login, I get to gnome but it seems to load very
slow.

I also am not able to su from a normal login to root.

$su
Password:
May 22 06:48:27 bsd-desktop su: BAD SU robert to root on /dev/ttyv0
su: Sorry
$

I am running FreeBSD 5.2RC.

TIA
Robert

P.S. If this message was duplicated, I apologize.
I received a message from my mail admin that it
could not be sent. So I am sending again.