relatively urgent question (about X)

Gary Kline kline at thought.org
Fri May 21 10:51:16 PDT 2004

	For some months I've had increasing troubles with my
	4.9/4.10 abruptly crashing.  This morning I found my
	workhorse server, tao, down and hung up while trying to
	fsck /usr.  I cleaned everything thoroughly and then
	started xdm.  The grey screen showed, the mouse was frozen;
	after 30 seconds, BOOM.  Another crash.  After yet
	another round of fsck's, I tried startx.  To see what
	errs might kill the X11 boot.  No: same blank grey screen,
	same frozen mouse,same OS crash.

	I tried /stand/sysinstall to reconfigure X.  No luck.
	I'm now doing my next stable sup upgrade and am doing
	yet another buildworld  && buildkernel.

	I doubt this will resolve the X Window snafu, tho.  So:::
	what x11/*XFree* ports do I have to fetch/build/install??
	((I'm assuming the reason for the crash was X-related,
	but this is only a first-SWAG.) Also, if anybody has had a
	similar problem, please let me know.

	tia, people,

	gary, ssh'd in from ethic.thought.org

--