4.{8,9,10} Install ad0 READ command error

Richard Caley rjc at interactive.co.uk
Fri May 21 03:57:20 PDT 2004

I can't install 4.X on a couple of identical new machines. They both
exhibit the same problem, and it's consistant, so it's probably not
bad hardware, though perhaps weird hardware. Also, 5.2 does install,
but these are to be production machines at a remote location so I'd
really rather be running something long in the tooth.

I've googled and looked at the FBDS mailing lists and here and have
found some similar sounding reports, but no fix.

I need to make a decision on these machines for next week, and if I
can't bring myself to go with 5.X I may have to try linux, so if
anyone can come up with a way forward with 4.X in the next day or two
it would be a really Good Thing:-).

OK, details:

The disk is there, visible and will boot (to DOS in one case, to FBSD
5.2 in the other).

I boot from CD and it goes through the normal sequence to boot the
install kernel until it looks at the hard disk (copied from a screen
on
the other end of the room, so excuse typoes/brainoes):

        ad0 sucess setting WDMA2 on SIS chip
        Creating disk ad0
        ad0 READ command timeout tag=0 serv=0 resetting ...
        ata0 resetting devices

And then nothing for as close to forever as I have been prepared to
wait.

        The motherboard is an ASRock KS41

        Chipset:        SIS 741 + SIS 963L

        Athalon 2400+