Recommended Motherboards for FreeBSD 4.x and 5.x

Patrick Hurrelmann outi at bytephobia.de
Fri May 21 02:29:20 PDT 2004

Forrest Aldrich wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I'm interested in what motherboards most recommend now for higher
> performance FreeBSD 4.x and 5.x systems.   I've a SOYO Dragon Platinum,
> with SATA and have had several problems, such that I will replace it
> with something better -- perhaps ASUS?
>
> Feedback appreciated.

Hi,

personally I'm a ASUS-User. All boards i've ever used were asus except
my Siemens Primergy 470 nad my Dell Latitude D600.

I ran FreeBSD successfully on this boards:

Asus A7M266-D, Dual-Athlon XP 1800+ (running CURRENT, ACPI w/o problems)
Asus CUV4X-D, Dual-PIII 800 (ran 4.9, if i remember correctly)
Asus P5A-B, K6-2 350 (running 5.2.1 p7, ACPI w/o problems)
Asus A7V266-E, Athlon XP 1800+ (running CURRENT, ACPI w/o problems)

and several asus borads, but never tested on freebsd, as i'm new to *NIX.

asus are always high-quality boards. you'll notice that in quality of
bios for example. all asus boards supporting ACPI, work flawless.

Patrick