Script won't run from cron

Andrew McNaughton andrew at scoop.co.nz
Fri May 21 01:20:06 PDT 2004

Since upgrading from 4.5-RELEASE to 4.8-RELEASE (actually rebuilding the
system and mounting the old /home directory), I'm having problems with a
process which rebuilds a search engine index.  Everything runs fine from
the command line, but the same script fails when running from cron.

The /bin/sh script runs, but when it goes to fire up the indexing process,
that process fails.  So far I can't figure out what is different about the
environment this is running under which should make it behave differently
from cron.

I've added commands into the shell script which report on the output of
set, id and limits.  At the command line I've then verified that id and
limits give identical values, and I've used 'env' to start the script with
the same environment varibales it gets in cron.  That proceeds corectly,
leaving me with still no idea why the same script doesn't run from cron
any more.

Any ideas?

Andrew McNaughton

Please mail me responses directly.

--

No added Sugar.  Not tested on animals.  May contain traces of Nuts.  If
irritation occurs, discontinue use.

Andrew McNaughton           Living in a shack in Tasmania
andrew at scoop.co.nz          Between the bush and the sea

Mobile: +61 422 753 792     http://staff.scoop.co.nz/andrew/cv.doc
                            http://www.scoop.co.nz/