Boot laoder display ans comma problem (FreeBSD 5.1)

bbrodeau@tiscali.fr bbrodeau at tiscali.fr
Thu May 20 06:35:19 PDT 2004

 Hello,

I am a newbie about FreeBSD but I like this gorgeous OS, elegant and
powerful. But FreeBSD is again mysterious for me. I have two problems.

First problem :

I have two partitions on my hard disk (Western Digital 20GB) with
FreeBSD 5.1 and Windows Server 2003.

 At present time my Boot loader displays :

 "F1 FreeBSD
 F2 ??

 Default : F1"

 (F2 corresponds to Windows Server 2003).

 But I would like to replace "??" by "Windows Server 2003".

 How to do this ? Is there a specific file for this ?

 Can I modify "/boot/loader.conf", "/boot/loader.conf.local" or
"/boot/defaults/loader.conf" ?

Is there a modification of a specific file ?

 I would like to solve this problem "unaesthetic" and ugly. No response for
the moment at :

http://www.bsdforums.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=122593#post122593

 Thanks for the informations on this subject.

Other problem :

 On my system I have to add a comma after the last username to allow
normal user to shutdown PC.

 "vi /etc/group"

 operator:*:5:root,username1,username2,username3,

 I don't understand the reason of the comma after the last name (for
example : username3).

 On the other hand I understand perfectly the reason of the comma
between two usernames.

 If the comma is missing (after username3) I can't do a "shutdown -r now"
or "shutdown -h now" or "shutdown -p now"

 With the comma after the last username, I can do a "shutdown -... now"

 No response for the moment at :

 http://www.bsdforums.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=22053

 Thank you very much for your precious help.

 Bertrand Brodeau (Valorisa)

******ADSL Tiscali, le Haut débit au meilleur prix ******
Avec Tiscali, profitez de l'ADSL au meilleur prix partout en France !
Pour profiter de cette offre exceptionnelle, cliquez ici : http://register.tiscali.fr/adsl
Sous réserve d'éligibilité à l'ADSL.