11b/g PCMCIA

Doug White dwhite at gumbysoft.com
Wed May 19 10:22:13 PDT 2004

On Mon, 17 May 2004, Pratt, Benjamin E. wrote:

> Hello, I know this is coming a while after this original topic was
> posted but I just got the same PCMCIA card and did some searching and
> didn't find any info about the card being supported as of yet.
>
> I am also fairly new to FreeBSD but am interested in knowing what I
> could do to help.  I've got the card, I've been using the FreeSBIE live
> CD on my laptop (install on other machines) and could install on my
> laptop for testing but would like some sort of guide (if available) for
> how I can contribute.

You need to update the wi driver to talk to it, so for starters you need
to know how to hack device drivers, and hardware. Second, you'll need to
get information on how to program the card from Proxim or some other
source. From my recollection Proxim doesn't exactly hand out programming
specs to all comers, if at all.

If you haven't done device drivers before, I don't think there's a lot you
can contribute, unless you want to learn device drivers first :)