ufs2 file system and zope/zeo directorystorage q

Ken Gunderson kgunders at teamcool.net
Wed May 19 01:16:08 PDT 2004

Howdy:

I'd have a Zope/Zeo site that I'd like to set up to use
DirectoryStorage.  DirectoryStorage author states:

bushy

If you are using a filesystem that is inefficient with directories
containing larger than a few hundred items. This is optimal for most
conventional filesystems, such as ext2 on linux. In this format each
object is given its own directory nested inside 8 levels of
subdirectory. Each revision of an object has its own file in that
directory.

chunky

If you are using a filesystem that is most efficient with directories
containing tens of thousands of subdirectories, or hundreds of
thousands of files. This is optimal for filesystems such as reiser3 or
JFS on linux. In this format, one subdirectory is shared by up to 65000
objects. That subdirectory is nested inside 4 levels of subdirectory.

I am unsure whether UFS2 would best utilize the "chunky" or "busy"
options.  The 64 bit pointers allow for up to 65K subdirs w/in a dir,
correct?  So the large number of subdirs under chunky format could be
handled.  Dirhash and dirpref can deal can cope with large numbers of
files per directory, correct.  But then doesn't UFS2 still use more
linear model?

Any insights from the filesystem gurus would be appreciated.  Please
'cc, as I am not subscribed to questions.

TIA--

--
Best regards,

Ken Gunderson
GPG Key-- 9F5179FD

"Freedom begins between the ears."      -- Edward Abbey