mounting usb camera - no /dev/da* !!!

Mike Jeays Mike.Jeays at rogers.com
Tue May 18 21:30:33 PDT 2004

On Tue, 2004-05-18 at 04:09, Ben Paley wrote:
> On Tuesday 18 May 2004 04:02, Mike Jeays wrote:
> > On Mon, 2004-05-17 at 19:16, Jason Taylor wrote:
> > > I have a similar situation with a Cannon Powershot A40.  I can't mount
> > > it, but gphoto is able to access it.  I had to modify a config file or
> > > two in order for the ugen devices to be created writable by anyone other
> > > than root.  Sorry, I don't have access to that box at the moment or I'd
> > > offer something a bit more concrete.
>
> gphoto2 turns out to work fine, thanks very much! I wonder why Digikam doesn't
> work, then?
>
> > I have a Canon Powershot A70, and the same problem.  I bought a SanDisk
> > card reader, and it works perfectly with a Compact Flash card that has
> > been used in the A70.  It can be mounted as
> > mount -t msdos /dev/da0s1 /mnt
>
> This may turn out to be the easiest thing in the long run: certainly my wife
> and kids aren't going to want to learn a CLI for getting at their snaps. I
> guess it's either a) buy a cardreader, b) get Digikam to work or c) something
> else I don't know about yet.
>
> Thanks for both your help,
> Ben

My trivial shell-script called "getphotos" does what I need, with the
appropriate entry in /etc/fstab, of course.  If you called it from a
desktop icon, it should meet the "wife and even quite young kids"
standard - with absolutely no disrespect intended to your wife and/or
kids!  And I am quite sure several people will point out how to simplify
the script.

#!/bin/sh
mount /flash
find /flash/dcim -name "*.jpg" >/tmp/photos.txt
x1=`cat /tmp/photos.txt`
for f in  $x1
do
  cp $x1 ~/pics/Raw/