[samba] can't print from w2k to bsd printer

Rob stopspam at users.sourceforge.net
Tue May 18 02:49:14 PDT 2004

Bjarne Wichmann Petersen wrote:
> On Sunday 09 May 2004 22:07, Bjarne Wichmann Petersen wrote:
>

>>I've spend several hours trying to get samba to play nice. I can get user
>>to login from windows to their bsd-account, mount CD's etc.. But I can't
>>get the users to print. I can see the printer and I can install it. But
>>when I click on the installed printer I get "access denied".
>>
>>I've tried everything, dublicating every smb.conf I could find. Trying out
>>every options. None helped. Hope someone here can spot what's wrong.
>>
>>My setup is a desktop PC running FBSD and a laptop with w2k. These are
>>connected through a router. The printer is a laserjet and works great on
>>the FBSD.

I've got an HP LaserJet 4V connected to the parallel port of my FBSD PC.
I use CUPS, so I share the printer with W2k over ipp (port 631).
Note: older W$ boxes (W96, W98) do not support ipp, I believe.
My firewall has:
  ${fwcmd} add check-state
  ${fwcmd} add allow tcp from any to any established keep-state
  ${fwcmd} add allow log tcp from 147.46.44.0/24,147.46.50.0/24 to my.pc.ip.ad ipp in via rl0 setup

You seem not to be working with CUPS. In that case, why not using lpd (port 515)
instead of samba? I think that's more secure, than opening up your firewall for
all the funny M$-W$ ports.

W2k should support lpd printer sharing, if I'm not wrong. I'm not a M$-W$ expert though.

lpd is covered in the printer section of the handbook.

Rob.