New work on installer?

Jud judmarc at fastmail.fm
Tue May 18 02:46:17 PDT 2004

On Mon, 17 May 2004 20:14:44 -0700 (PDT), Viktor Lazlo
<viktorlazlo at telus.net> wrote:

> On Tue, 18 May 2004, Robert Storey wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 17 May 2004 01:00:37 -0500
>> <timh at tjhawkins.com> wrote:
>>
>> > Has there been any new work on the installer or planned? If not, I
>> would like
>> > to help... What about graphical?
>>
>> If you're looking to improve FreeBSD's user-friendliness, more usefual
>> than a
>> GUI installer would be a few network setup tools. To get some idea what
>> I'm
>> talking about, take a look at Slackware's "netconfig" and "adsl-setup"
>> tools.
>> These aren't GUI, just ncurses scripts, but very easy to use. When I
>> was a FBSD
>> newbie, one of my most frustrating experiences was having to manually
>> write and
>> modify /etc/ppp/options and /etc/ppp/ppp.conf. I think a lot of newbies
>> get to
>> this point, spend a few frustrating days tearing their hair out, and
>> then give
>> up and go back to Redhat or SUSE.
>>
>> A user-friendly GUI or ncurses script for configuring the new PF
>> firewall would
>> no doubt win a few converts too. Take a look at Guarddog (a Linux tool
>> for IP
>> tables) to get some idea.
>
> If you use sysinstall to configure the network it is very similar to
> Slackware's netconfig, except that it is faster and easier since it is
> all
> on once screen and will automatically probe for more information.  I've
> never used dial-up under FreeBSD but there are ppp options in sysinstall
> as well so presumably it will configure that as well for you.

For anyone wanting to set up dial-up or a cable modem with FreeBSD, the
article at the URL below is simple and direct:

It just so happens the same author has just written a new article on
FreeBSD networking.  I haven't read it yet, but on the basis of her
consistently excellent writing I'll recommend it anyway:

Jud