Manually starting RCng scripts disabled in rc.conf

Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC chad at shire.net
Mon May 17 11:30:42 PDT 2004

On May 17, 2004, at 11:53 AM, Freddie Cash wrote:

> RCng scripts require an entry in /etc/rc.conf along the lines of
> <appname>_enable="YES" otherwise the script will fail to do anything.

As an aside, you may want to use /etc/rc.conf.local instead.

on a related note:

One problem is that it appears that /usr/local/etc/rc.d is NOT a
full-citizen in the rcNG system.  You must have a .sh on the end, which
is not true of things in /etc/rc.d  . I do not know if this means that
/usr/local/etc/rc.d scripts run inside the main process as a .sh script
does from /etc/rc.d or if it runs as a sub-process.  In /etc/rc.d, ones
without .sh run as sub-processes of the main startup script, while ones
ending with .sh run in the main process...

Chad