sendmail on new install gives permissions error

carvin5string carvin5string at yahoo.com
Mon May 17 09:30:05 PDT 2004

I just got a new server up and running and need it to send mail. The
rc.conf file has sendmail_enable="YES" and it does start when the
system boots up. I can, as root, send a message direct from the command
line and it is sent successfully. But when I try to have a message sent
from a web page it errors out with this permissions error -

May 17 09:08:17 www sendmail[18900]: i4HG8HZC018900: SYSERR(www):
collect: Cannot write ./dfi4HG8HZC018900 (bfcommit, uid=80, gid=25):
Permission denied
May 17 09:08:17 www sendmail[18900]: i4HG8HZC018900: SYSERR(www):
queueup: cannot create queue file ./qfi4HG8HZC018900, euid=80:
Permission denied

I don't know what to do, I've set up previous versions of FBSD and
haven't had this problem before. The version I am running is 5.2.1.
Sendmail is only needed to send outbound messsages for apache/php. I
tried the php mail() function but it errors out -

Failed to send to chip.wiegand at simrad.com. Could not instantiate
mail().

Please help.
Thanks,
Chip

PS, I have been trying to subscribe to the list but never get a mail
after submitting the form.