HP Printer not working?

Miles Lubin miles at lubin.us
Sun May 16 20:21:16 PDT 2004

On Thu, 03 Jun 2004 21:48:22 +0200, David Telyas wrote:

>I have an i386 running FreeBSD 5.2.1 and KDE, but I can't get my printer
>working. It's a HP Deskjet 5550 connected via USB. I've heard about lpd
>and cups, but don't know which one to use or what the difference is. So
>can anyone guide a Windows user to an easy howto?

I just set up my deskjet 5550 connected by USB today with CUPS. It worked perfectly in 5 minutes. All I needed to do was connect to the CUPS server and set up the printer on /dev/ulpt0 with the new deskjet driver (built in). It was so easy it was almost plug and play! Follow http://www.freebsddiary.org/cups.php and you will be fine. Dont forget to change PATH or it wont work.

Miles