FreeBSD 4.7 Syslogs

Shaun T. Erickson ste at smxy.org
Sun May 16 07:29:57 PDT 2004

Sunil Sunder Raj wrote:

> Hi,
> I did not mean to change the permissions to 777 permanently. Just to
> come to a conclusion on whether it is a permission problem. As 90% unix
> problems are related to permissions.

Then you should have said so. But you did not - you simply told an
admitted "noob" to set the permissions to 777, without any explanation.
He might have done that, and if it had fixed his problem, he might have
left it that way, thinking everything was solved - but with his logfile
open to attack.

Please think about the advice you give, and whom you are giving it to,
before you give it.

	-ste