fsck_msdos or fsck_msdosfs

Android66 android.66 at volja.net
Sat May 15 16:15:55 PDT 2004

Hi!

I've had an interesting problem. In my /ets/fstab I have put a line
which should mount my /dev/ad0s3 to /shared. It is a fat32 partition. It
was working fine until earlier today, when I first rebooted the machine
after install and when fsck was run at boot time. It checked the ufs
filesystems w/o problems, but when trying to check /dev/ad0s3 it
reported an error. fsck was calling fack_msdos to check that partition,
but this file does not exist. So it stopped booting and reported an
error about not being able to find fsck_msdos in /sbin or /usr/sbin.
After rebooting with FreeSBIE, I took a look in my /sbin directory to
find I have the needed binary, only it's called fsck_msdosfs! No wonder
it couldn't find it as it has a different name. I copied fsck_msdos to
fsck_msdosfs, rebooted and the boot went through normally.

Does anyone else have the same problem? I have a freshly installed
FreeBSD 5.2.1-RELEASE and the problem occured when I rebooted the
machine in order to do a "make installworld". I don't believe the name
change occured while building world and building and installing kernel.
Is having a copy of the file OK or do I need to do something else instead?

Why is fsck calling fsck_msdos if the actual binary has a different name
(fsck_msdosfs)?

Regards,
Android66