Question re: eventual upgrade to 5-Stable

Matthew Seaman matthew at cryptosphere.com
Sat May 15 14:35:31 PDT 2004

On Sat, May 15, 2004 at 02:13:35PM -0700, Robert Carr wrote:
> Is there any update as to when 5-stable might be
> released?  Is 5.3 expected to be forked as 5-Stable?

That is still the plan according to

    http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/5-roadmap/index.html

However, dates have slipped, and may yet slip again.  At the moment
4.10-RELEASE is imminent, and 5.3-RELEASE + the branching of 5-STABLE
should happen a few months after that.

> If I build a FreeBSD 5 server for home use (Postfix,
> Apache) and use FreeBSD 5.2.x, is the upgrade path to
> 5-stable expected to be as easy as cvs-up and
> make-world, or would I have to re-format my HD and
> re-install with 5-Stable?

That is very likely to be the case, but cannot be guarranteed.  For
instance the upgrade from 5.1 to 5.2 was significantly harder than
that due to the introduction of code making the newer system rather
incompatible with the older one.  That sort of thing is entirely
permissible with the New Technology releases, but wouldn't be
permitted for the post 5-STABLE releases.  Whatever happens you should
be able to upgrade from RELENG_5_2 to RELENG_5_3 or RELENG_5 without
doing a complete wipe and re-install, but there is a chance it may be
a rather more involved procedure than a simple cvsup(1) and
buildworld.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way