Multiple IP's with DHCP?

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Sat May 15 07:21:54 PDT 2004

GRF . wrote:
>   I have Time Warner Road Runner Boradband service and I spoke to the
> technician and found that they allow 3 IP's to be pulled with basic
> service.  I would like to set up My FreeBSD 4.9 box with two of these
> IP's.

Why do you want to do so?

What is probably happening is that you're being allocated a second IP on the
same subnet, which isn't permitted because it isn't useful.  You might be able
to convince dhclient to override the netmask for the second IP, in much the
same fashion as "ifconfig xxx alias" works.

--
-Chuck