blacklist(s)

Jay Moore jaymo at cromagnon.cullmail.com
Sat May 15 00:18:19 PDT 2004

On Friday 14 May 2004 07:55 pm, Gary Kline wrote:

> 	Can anyone point me to the website that told how to set up
> 	sendmail's FEATURE to use blacklists?  There were at least
> 	fourr blacklist sites.  I've grep'd thru my ~/Mail directory,
> 	can't find it?

Most DNSBLs have a "how-to" page with sendmail configuration examples. The
sendmail site itself is pretty clear on how to do this (www.sendmail.org)

> 	Any thoughts on spamcop.com?

I use it, and I feed my spam to it. I think their approach to blacklisting is
pretty unique... it's not the "central authority" model, it's more like a
"popular vote" model. Anyone can "vote" by feeding their spam to spamcop.

Downside(s)??

1) Their servers apparently get overloaded sometimes, and don't respond. This
can lead to two things - both of which are bad:
  spam gets through if you don't defer
  good mail gets delayed if you do defer
2) There was some flack a few months ago about spamcop being bought by a
"commercial" outfit. You can Google for the news on this

Finally - www.DNSstuff.com, the "Spam database lookup" is a great source of
comparison between all or most of the available blacklists.

HTH,
Jay