The correct way to run "make"

Malcolm Kay malcolm.kay at internode.on.net
Fri May 14 18:45:15 PDT 2004

On Saturday 15 May 2004 04:43, Gerard Samuel wrote:
> On Friday 14 May 2004 01:26 pm, Antoine Jacoutot wrote:
> > On Friday 14 May 2004 19:17, Gerard Samuel wrote:
> > > a)  make --SOMEOPTION=yes
> > > b)  make --SOMEOPTION=yes
> > > c)  make SOMEOPTION=yes
> >
> > I'm not sure there's an "official way", but I think you can use whatever:
> >
> > make -DOPTION
> > make OPTION=1
> > make OPTION=yes
>
> Im giving up for now.
> Tried to build mozilla with ->
> make -DWITHOUT_MAILNEWS=yes -DWITHOUT_LDAP=yes -DWITHOUT_CHATZILLA=yes
> install and it still has the mail and chatzilla modules installed.
> Maybe Ill experiment with it later (like when Im sleeping)....

You are mixing two methods of nominating options. What these produce
is not defined.

   -DWITHOUT_MAILNEWS
sets WITHOUT_MAILNEWS = 1

   WITHOUT_MAILNEWS=yes
sets WITHOUT_MAILNEWS = yes

The second method is safer as it is possible that the specific value
"yes" is required.

Hardly surprising you're invented version didn't work ;)
I imagine it tries to set "WITHOUT_MAILNEWS=yes" = 1

Malcolm