ProFTPd installation / configuration help needed

Robert Storey y2kbug at ms25.hinet.net
Fri May 14 17:34:35 PDT 2004

On Fri, 14 May 2004 14:57:53 -0400
Bruce Hunter <bhunter at solisix.com> wrote:

> I have installed ProFTPd from the ports collection on a FBSD 5.2.1
> system. The only problem is, it doesn't start up. I know I have to set /
> change the ftp line in the
> /etc/inetd.conf
> i also have setup a user account on the system called ftp and the group ftp.
> Any help would be great

As I recall, you have to manually create a directory /var/run/proftpd - the man
page erroneously tells you to use /var/run/run/proftpd. Permission levels and
ownership are like this:

  # ls -dl /var/run/proftpd
  drwxr-xr-x  2 root  wheel  512 Apr 16 20:19 /var/run/proftpd

If you're starting from /etc/inetd.conf, you need to edit
/usr/local/etc/proftpd.conf and comment out the line that says:

  ServerType                      standalone

and add a line that says:

  ServerType                      inetd

See "man proftpd" for more details.

regards,