The journalling file system saga

Peter Schuller peter.schuller at infidyne.com
Thu May 13 16:27:41 PDT 2004

> [Problems with softupdates]
>
> > Yet another problem is that an fsync() no longer guarantees that data is
> > on disk, even with write caching disabled on the media. This doesn't
> > break things like PostgreSQL provided that the order of writes is
> > preserved, but it does break things like MTA:s that want to guarantee
> > that critical data has been commited to persistent storage before
> > signaling success to an external entity (SMTP client).
>
> fsync(2) works as advertised with softupdates enabled so that shouldn't
> cause any problems for applications that are written properly.

Ah thanks! I was under the distinct impression that was not the case. This is
indeed good news. I can now rest easy running PostgreSQL without disabling
soft updates.

Perhaps a document would be in order describing/detailing all the details such
as this about soft updates, all in one place. What I know I have mostly
gathered by reading papers and random mailinglist postings about certain
specifics. Is there such a thing in existence? If not I may try to put one
together, for other people like me.

PGP userID: 0xE9758B7D or 'Peter Schuller <peter.schuller at infidyne.com>'
Key retrieval: Send an E-Mail to getpgpkey at scode.org
E-Mail: peter.schuller at infidyne.com Web: http://www.scode.org