remove users from system

OLAF STEIN stein.175 at osu.edu
Thu May 13 11:14:52 PDT 2004

hi everybody,

i recently switched from linux to freebsd, so this question might sound a little stupid

the problem
i removed 2 users from my system by deleting their entries in /etc/passwd and /etc/group (they had their own group and where in no other groups)

the users are still able to login after i deleted them
the rmuser command now does not remove them anymore because it cannot find their entries in /etc/passwd, cause as mentioned i deleted them from their

the handbook lists all actions that are taken, when the rmuser command is executed and i did all actions manually except the deletion of the home directories of those users, because i want to keep them

how can i remove those users completely?
and is there something like a /etc/shadow file?

please cc me on the answer as i am not in the list

thanks in advance
olaf