Cross building ports

JJB Barbish3 at adelphia.net
Thu May 13 10:34:33 PDT 2004

After installing the port on your build box go ahead and run the
make package on the /usr/port/portname directory. The resulting
package will be in that directory. Copy it to your other i386 box
and pkg_add pgkname and it will work. I have even done it with newer
FBSD operation system version on build box and the created pkg ran
fine on production box with older FBSD version. But never did it
between major versions 5.x build box to 4.x production box. I would
say since the buildworld works for your amd64 world the packages
should be ok also. Give it an try to verify.  I normally only use
pkg_add -r from the FBSD site. Only do port install when I need
non-standard config of package.

Good luck