mount_msdosfs anomaly

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at clunix.cl.msu.edu
Thu May 13 07:02:23 PDT 2004

> Jerry McAllister wrote:
> >> Aloha
> >>
> >> I have a 80 gig hard drive that I have sliced up for multiple
> >> distros of linux and freebsd. I have win98 on slice 1 and freebsd
> >> on slice 2. On slice 10 I have a 2.7 Gig slice formatted as fat32
> >> for data sharing between all distros.
> >>
> >> When logged into frebsd (5.2.1) i can mount the win98 slice with
> >> "mount_msdosfs /dev/ad0s1 /win98" without any trouble.
> >>
> >> When I attempt to mount slice 10 with "mount_msdosfs /dev/ad0s10
> >> /shared" I get the following error:
> >>
> >> mount_msdosfs: /dev/ad0s10: invalid argument.
> >>
> >> Slice 10 was formatted in win98 and scan disk was run. I have a
> >> text file and two jpeg photos in the slice.
> >>

> > Only 4 primary slices are recognized.   FreeBSD will not talk to a
> > slice 10 and I don't think anything MS will either in a standard
> > manner.  That is why they came up with extended partitions.   What
> > did you use to create the extra slices?
> >
> > ////jerry
>
> Isn't ad?s5 and up used for the extended partitions? Which devices show
> up in /dev ?

Well, I have never messed with MS extended "partitions" so I don't
really know much details.   My /dev only goes up to s4 for either ad or da.
But, I am not surprised if mount_msdosfs thinks /dev/ad0s10 is not valid.
I suppose the person could try creating those devices in /dev and see
what falls down (or if it works).

////jerr