devfs and jails

Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC chad at shire.net
Wed May 12 14:37:25 PDT 2004

Hi

This is on 5.2-CURRENT

I want to apply devfs rules to a jails /dev.  I am starting my jails
manually and not through rc.conf (directly -- I have written my own rc
script to start my jails since I have a bunch of file system stuff like
mounting some localhost nfs and some md device mounts to do as part of
the launch).

I noticed that /etc/defaults/devfs.rules has a default set of rules
that one might use with a jail, so I am starting there.  It appears
that this is ruleset 4

(
# Devices usually found in a jail.
#
[devfsrules_jail=4]
add include $devfsrules_hide_all
add include $devfsrules_unhide_basic
add include $devfsrules_unhide_login
)

I have

/sbin/mount_devfs devfs /jail/host/dev
/sbin/devfs -m /jail/host/dev ruleset 4
/sbin/devfs -m /jail/host/dev rule applyset

but nothing happens.  Am I going about this the wrong way?  I assume
that devfs will normally find the /etc/defaults/devfs.rules ????

I am new to the 5.x way of doing things and have read a bunch of man
pages but feel I may be missing a step.

Thanks
Chad