Help: Speeding up Boot Process

Eric Crist ecrist at secure-computing.net
Tue May 11 20:07:41 PDT 2004

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-freebsd-questions at freebsd.org
[mailto:owner-freebsd-questions at freebsd.org] On Behalf Of Mark Jayson
Alvarez
Sent: Tuesday, May 11, 2004 10:02 PM
To: freebsd-questions at freebsd.org
Subject: Help: Speeding up Boot Process

Sir,
[SNIP]

And one last thing, I know this
might sound ignorant on my part but... could you tell
how to run multiple programs in one log-in prompt? I
didn't acctualy understand how virtual consoles works
so every time I'm playing mp3 on mpg123, I will have
to press the F keys to login to another prompt just to
be able to run another program.

Mark,

You can send a program into the background by trailing the command with
&&.  So, if you want to run amp (an mp3 player), you could simply type:

# amp song.mp3 &&

An easier solution is to login to a second virtual terminal by hitting
Alt-F2 (all the way up to F7).  Then just switch back by pressing
Alt-F1, or whichever terminal you were on before.

HTH

Eric F Crist