nfs help

Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC chad at shire.net
Tue May 11 19:47:41 PDT 2004

Hi

I have a 5.2-CURRENT (as of about 2 weeks ago) machine that I want to
serve some filesystem from to itself using localhost.  Ie,

% mount localhost:/path/to/shared/dir /other/path

I have it working on a 5.2.1-RELEASE-p6 machine, but cannot get it
working on the -CURRENT machine.

I run mountd with -d -r and it gives the following on startup  (shoes
the exports file as well so I won't list it separately)

mountd: getting export list
mountd: got line #The following examples export /usr to 3 machines
named after ducks,
mountd: got line #/usr/src and /usr/ports read-only to machines named
after trouble makers
mountd: got line #/home and all directories under it to machines named
after dead rock stars
mountd: got line #and, /a to a network of privileged machines allowed
to write on it as root.
mountd: got line #/usr                   huey louie dewie
mountd: got line #/usr/src /usr/obj -ro  calvin hobbes
mountd: got line #/home   -alldirs       janice jimmy frank
mountd: got line #/a      -maproot=0  -network 10.0.1.0 -mask
255.255.248.0
mountd: got line #
mountd: got line # You should replace these lines with your actual
exported filesystems.
mountd: got line # Note that BSDs export synatx is host-centric vs.
Suns "FS-centric" one.
mountd: got line /local -ro -alldirs    localhost
mountd: making new ep fs=0x408a2abc,0x6b00a39c
mountd: doing opt -ro -alldirs  localhost
mountd: doing opt -alldirs      localhost
got host localhost
got host localhost
mountd: can't change attributes for /local
mountd: got line /      -alldirs        localhost
mountd: making new ep fs=0x40901b7c,0x64fc8edf
mountd: doing opt -alldirs      localhost
got host localhost
got host localhost
mountd: can't change attributes for /
mountd: getting mount list
mountd: here we go

What is the "can't change attributes for /local" and "/" mean?

Usually when trying to mount I get the first mount working OK but
subsequent mounts fail with permission denied.

ie, I can do

mount -r localhost:/local/jails/master/usr /local/2/somejail/usr

but then

mount -r localhost:/local/jails/master/bin /local/2/somejail/bin

and subsequent ones fail.  It doesn't matter which one I do first, it
usually works, and then the follow ons don't.  (ie, usr could be first
and work or bin could be first and work, that doesn't matter).

Thanks
Chad