Printing to HP LaserJet III

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Mon May 10 16:42:13 PDT 2004

On Mon, 10 May 2004, Ion-Mihai Tetcu wrote:

> 2. The tray I have is for "legal" paper and I want to use A4; the
> problem is that if I set CUPS to print on A4 it's prompting "PC LOAD A4"
> and I have to push "Continue" for each page.

The printer knows that it does not have A4 paper loaded.  On many HP
printers, it can tell because there are configuration switches that are
set by the paper guides in the tray.  On others, you might have to set
that through the front panel menus.

> 3. From what I've seen on net there are many sub-models of LaserJet III
> with different capabilities; is there any method to query the printer
> and find out what it knows ?

Printing a test page should show options like PostScript or additional
memory.