dual processor and FreeBSD 4.9

Garance A Drosihn drosih at rpi.edu
Mon May 10 11:47:40 PDT 2004

At 8:16 PM +0200 5/10/04, Vivailsud Staff Member wrote:
>Hello, I am in trouble with FreeBSD 4.9p, I have got dual
>processor server (2 x Pentium II 400MHz) and I would like that
>FreeBSD could be able to use the both of them. I have read that
>you need to compile the kernel once again, but I would like to
>know which modifies I should apply to resolve this trouble.

When you look under /usr/src/sys/i386/conf, you will see a
file called GENERIC.  That is the kernel-definition that
FreeBSD is distributed with.

You will want to make a copy of that file, to whatever file
name you want.  Maybe call it DUALCPU.  Inside the file, you
will see the lines:

# To make an SMP kernel, the next two are needed
#options	SMP			# Symmetric MultiProcessor Kernel
#options	APIC_IO			# Symmetric (APIC) I/O

You will want to uncomment those two 'option' lines, to get:

# To make an SMP kernel, the next two are needed
options	SMP			# Symmetric MultiProcessor Kernel
options	APIC_IO			# Symmetric (APIC) I/O

Earlier in the same file, you will see the lines:

machine		i386
cpu		I386_CPU
cpu		I486_CPU
cpu		I586_CPU
cpu		I686_CPU
ident		GENERIC

Comment out the lines for 'I386_CPU' and 'I486_CPU', and change
the word 'GENERIC' to match the name you have chosen for your
kernel configuration.  So:

machine		i386
#cpu		I386_CPU
#cpu		I486_CPU
cpu		I586_CPU
cpu		I686_CPU
ident		DUALCPU

You then want to follow the instructions for building a kernel
with the filename that you used for the kernel-configuration.

Garance Alistair Drosehn            =   gad at gilead.netel.rpi.edu
Senior Systems Programmer           or  gad at freebsd.org
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute    or  drosih at rpi.edu