Problem with FreeBSD 4.8, ipf, ipfnat and forwarding for pcAnywhere

Peter Risdon peter at circlesquared.com
Mon May 10 10:18:50 PDT 2004

adp wrote:

>I am using telnet just to see if the port accepts connections. That test
>works fine internally. We are not running a telnet server. Also, we are
>telnetting to the pcAnywhere port, not the telnet port. :)

I've only historical experience with PCAnywhere, nowadays sticking with
VNC for this sort of thing, but your post made me google out of
interest. One thread alerted me to this interesting entry in
/usr/local/share/nmap/nmap-services - I believe it might only be
relevant to version 10.5 (and above?)

pcanywhere 65301/tcp

Several sources mention port 22 as well. Then again, some don't. This
seems a moderately well informed example of one that does:

http://old.gallantry.com/support/technotes/tn01052403_pcaw/

And at the foot of that page are links to several of Symantec's own
techical help documents for this exact issue.

This might be useful:

http://www.eicon.com/support/helpweb/dlanen/sol7.htm

There's some troubleshooting info there. It does seem to matter which
version(s) of PCAnywhere you're using.

<quote>

Versions of pcAnywhere prior to 7.5 use non-registered TCP/IP ports. All
later versions, including v7.5 use the following registered TCP/IP ports:

    TCP – 5631
    UDP – 5632

You will run into problems when you are using a version of pcAnywhere
with non-registered TCP/IP ports on one side of the connection and a
version with registered ports on the other side of the connection.

Symantec provide a fix for this problem on their FTP server. Please see
the Symantec Knowledge Base for further information
http://www.symantec.com <http://www.symantec.com/>

</quote>

After that, FAQs from various companies show the reasonableness of your
approach. For non-FreeBSD-specific configuration details that might give
a clue, see:

http://www.netopia.com/en-us/equipment/tech/c_faq.html#ph_no_5

and

http://help.broadviewnet.net/support/nat-pcanywhere.htm

I found two threads discussing a very similar problem with a Cisco
router as a gateway, and along with the surprising information that one
poster claims to have solved a similar issue by upgrading the drivers of
the graphics card in the PCAnywhere host, one resolution is here:

http://isp-lists.isp-planet.com/isp-routing/0205/msg00051.html

and another here:

http://www.tek-tips.com/gviewthread.cfm/pid/34/qid/832487

HTH