options in /etc/resolv.conf

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Mon May 10 07:06:53 PDT 2004

On Mon, May 10, 2004 at 01:53:01PM +0200, Mipam wrote:

> I wish to use the following option in /etc/resolv.conf
>
> options timeout:40
>
> However in man resolv.conf(5) i notice that this option isnt available.
> But i read here:
>
> http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/namedroppers.199x/msg03798.html
>
> that this option is available from bind 8.2
> named -v yields:
>
> named 8.3.7-REL
> Does freebsd use a modified version with not all options which comes in
> bind 8.3?

FreeBSD uses a pretty standard version of BIND-8.3.7, and it uses the
BIND resolver code in libc -- See:

    http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/lib/libbind/Makefile?rev=1.7&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup

The part you're interested in is handled by the code in res_init.c:
look for the res_setoptions() function in:

    http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/contrib/bind/lib/resolv/res_init.c?rev=1.1.1.8&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup

Which suggests that the functionality you require is available, and
that the man page is somewhat lacking.  Note that the man page isn't
supplied with the BIND sources, so it may well have got out of synch.

Have you tried using those options in your /etc/resolv.conf? Do they
work?

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way