the most light weight X web browser?

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Sun May 9 08:13:17 PDT 2004

On Sun, 9 May 2004, mark rowlands wrote:

> poot at rcmaprxy : /web1/web1: 03:16 PM:
> links -version
> Links 2.1pre14
> poot at rcmaprxy : /web1/web1: 03:17 PM:
> links -help
> links [options] URL
> Options are:
>
>  -g
>   Run in graphics mode.

But the next few lines of the man page say that only works if
--enable-graphics was given to ./configure when compiling links.  In the
port's Makefile it only turns on --enable-graphics if you compile it for
X.  (More specifically, it only turns on --enable-graphics if
-DWITHOUT_X11 is not defined.)

So to run it without X but with graphics, you'll have to modify the
Makefile or just manually compile links.

Just out of curiousity, I tried it just now.  A quick hack to make it
work:

Make sure you have svgalib installed (/usr/ports/devel/svgalib).
Remove the --without-svgalib from the first CONFIGURE_ARGS line.
Add --enable-graphics to the same line.
Remove the whole .if !defined(WITHOUT_X11) ... .endif section.
Run it with 'links -g -mode 640x480x16'.