ntfs mount

Bart Silverstrim bsilver at chrononomicon.com
Fri May 7 11:21:50 PDT 2004

On May 7, 2004, at 2:12 PM, Mark Ovens wrote:

> Bart Silverstrim wrote:

>>> I would have thought that a Dell would have had *an* OS
>>> pre-installed.
>>>
>> Not always.  I am running FBSD 4.9 on a couple Dell 2650's ordered
>> just for the purpose of installing FreeBSD on them for some of  our
>> server use...you can specify *no operating system* and they ship you
>> the system and rails with nothing but the hard drives configured for
>> RAID on the PERC controller.  No fuss, no muss :-)
>
> That's good to know :-) Does it only apply to servers, or can you get
> desktop machines /sans/ OS?

I don't know for sure to give an authoritative answer; if you call them
for ordering, you should be able to cajole them into it.  We may get
different treatment because we're a school and they like us calling
them back when another project needs another server (I think
educational institutions are considered businesses by Dell, so we can
all our sales rep and they seem to be able to work whatever magic we
want for configurations when we make it clear that's what we want).
Dell doesn't make systems, IIRC, until they are ordered...read
something about how it cuts down on inventory left in warehouses and
allows for customization...so I don't see why they couldn't make a
desktop system sans OS.