Connecting to a Headless machine, after install

Stijn Hoop stijn at win.tue.nl
Fri May 7 01:10:56 PDT 2004

On Fri, May 07, 2004 at 05:01:29PM +0900, Rob wrote:
> Funny, that I'm struggling with opposite problem: I do not get the
> boot messages over the serial cable, but do get the login prompt,
> which I do not understand :(.

You probably need to tell the kernel to use the serial console:

# echo '-h' > /boot.config

Also make sure you have the appropriate flags for your serial device driver,
for sio on RELENG_4 use

device sio0 at isa? port IO_COM1 flags 0x10 irq 4

or if you're on 5.x edit /boot/device.hints and set

hint.sio.0.flags="0x10"

(this should be the default though).

There's another knob for uart(4) on 5.x but I don't remember it right now.

HTH,

--Stijn

--
The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common.  Instead of
altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views