Stop. in installworld (4.9)

Kent Stewart kstewart at owt.com
Thu May 6 11:28:56 PDT 2004

On Thursday 06 May 2004 11:04 am, Ewald Jenisch wrote:
> On Thu, May 06, 2004 at 10:30:33AM -0700, Kent Stewart wrote:
> > On Thursday 06 May 2004 09:45 am, Ewald Jenisch wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Upon trying to upgrade a 4.9 system to the most recent version I
> > > ended up with a "Stop." during "make installworld".
> >
> > When ever touch gets involved in an installworld, your computer's
> > clock is usually off and make thinks it needs to recreate
> > something. Set the clock to the proper time and rebuild your world
> > and then try the install.
>
> Hi Kent,
>
> Thanks very much for the hint. As it turns out the clock of the
> system was completely off - it's a new system that I set up today
> which out of the box had the clock months (!) off...
>
> Changed date/time, remade everything and make installworld ran
> without problems.

One of the first things I setup on a computer is ntpd and then I let it
run. Sometimes, you have to manually set the clock but it is part of my
install first list. The hardest part is finding a public time server
than you can access.

Computer clocks are notorious for being in another world but now I joke
that my computer's clock is more accurate than my digital wristwatch.
They always gain or lose time but my computer is always accurate within
a fraction of a second.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart