KVM Switches

Brent Macnaughton Brent.Macnaughton at rdc.ab.ca
Thu May 6 08:45:16 PDT 2004

I am willing to wager that it is the KVM switch itself that is the problem.
I have had a few problems KVM switches before.

1) We have a Compaq Proliant 1600. On certain KVMs, the keyboard world drop
keystrokes. It was impossible to use. I switched the KVM out with a cheap 2
port Hawking unit and it worked fine.

2) We have a Compaq KVM (a very expensive rack-mountable server class unit).
It works great, or so we thought. The other day, we swapped out a two button
mouse with a wheel-mouse. Guess what? Doesn't work at all. The mouse is
fine, it just won't work through the expensive Compaq KVM.

Are you using Compaq hardware at all? Maybe that is your problem :)

Another thing to mention... When you are booting your FreeBSD box, make sure
you are switched to that box and watch it boot. If you are switched to
another computer when the mouse daemon loads, I have found that the mouse
won't function at all.

Brent.