Restoring system files from CD

Christian Hiris 4711 at chello.at
Thu May 6 07:21:25 PDT 2004

On Thursday 06 May 2004 15:10, Robert Fitzpatrick wrote:
> How can I restore some lost system files from the original 5.2.1-RELEASE
> CD-ROM? Is there somewhere in the handbook to discuss this?

I did this once under 5.1 release. I think it's still the same procedere:

Insert the 5.2.1-RELEASE CD-ROM and boot into the installation menu.
Then select the 'Fixit' option from the install menu.
Next select option 2 CDROM/DVD (you need the 5.2.1-RELEASE-i386-disc2.iso
handy or download it from a freebsd ftp server).
The fixit shell starts on terminal 4, where you can fsck and mount your
damaged filesystem. cd to /dist, there you may find the files you are looking
for.

regards
ch