memory 'leak' with 5.2.1?

Woon Wai Keen at doubleukay.com doubleukay at doubleukay.com
Wed May 5 02:21:45 PDT 2004

Hi list,

I have been running 5.2.1 on a Celeron with 512MB RAM for nearly two
months straight, but have been experiencing heavy swapping these past
few days. In a last-ditch attempt, I stopped all the services hoping to
reclaim the memory somehow.

The output from top (after stopping services) reads:

Mem: 12M Active, 10M Inact, 451M Wired, 1364K Cache, 59M Buf, 11M Free
Swap: 1024M Total, 15M Used, 1009M Free, 1% Inuse, 12K In

I noticed that the amount of 'wired' memory before and after stopping
the services remains the same, at > 400MB. The swap usage went down from
~200MB to 15MB however.

Is it normal to have so much RAM 'wired'? (I don't really understand
'wired' as described in the handbook)

--
Regards,
wK (www.doubleukay.com)