Disk Usage

Michael Conlen meconlen at obfuscated.net
Tue May 4 15:49:45 PDT 2004

I have a NFS server running FreeBSD-4.9-RELEASE. It's run fine for
several months with five FreeBSD 4.9 systems mounting it's filesystems.
Suddenly something started using disk space at the rate of 10 GB/hour
on one of the filesystems (which has exported directories). The catch
is that a du -k shows a total usage for that file system of much less
than df -k. du -k essentially shows the disk usage before the available
space started to disappear! Normally I'd presume someone's hiding files
under a mount point when I see this but nothings mounted on a directory
in this filesystem. Upon reboot the space is not used anymore, df -k
and du -k report similar values.

Quite simply odd. Some other details... ...this has happened twice in
one day, and the rate of "ghost" disk usage is constant and identical
in both graphs. The file server is used to serve files to clustered web
servers. There's considerable write activity to the NFS server all the
time (40-60Mbit/sec) and moderate read access (~10Mbit/sec).

Any ideas what would cause the df -k and du -k discrepancy?

--
Michael Conlen