Sound server issue

Christian Hiris 4711 at chello.at
Tue May 4 15:09:55 PDT 2004

On Tuesday 04 May 2004 07:14, David Wassman wrote:
> I have tried all that (recompile the kernel with the devices pcm and sbc
> added) but when I type
>
> dmesg | grep ESS
>
> Nothing happens. I am going to try loading sbc manually and not PNP and see
> if that works. Any other suggestions?

Yes David, some more suggestions:

1.
If possible, boot your system from win to figure out irq and port settings of
your soundcard. Then enter the win settings into /boot/device.hints config.

from /usr/src/sys/conf/NOTES:

# For non-PnP cards:
device		sbc
hint.sbc.0.at="isa"
hint.sbc.0.port="0x220"
hint.sbc.0.irq="5"
hint.sbc.0.drq="1"
hint.sbc.0.flags="0x15"

2.
Some DSDTs expext to find a microsoft os on your machine. in case of this the
tunable "hw.acpi.osname" can be set to the expexted os-name (man 4 acpi).

3.
You can use acpidump(8) to disassemble the ACPI DSDT table to ASL and dump it
to a file. Edit any suspect code in there and use iasl(8) to recompile ASL to
AML bytecode. The resulting bytecode can be loaded from userland instead of
the original AML code by adding the lines

	acpi_dsdt_load="YES"
	acpi_dsdt_name="/boot/your_dsdt.aml"

to your /boot/loader.conf.

Peter Schultz has written an ACPI howto, which describes step by step how to
fix your DSDT. http://bis.midco.net/pmes/acpi.html

regards
ch