arp issues...but WHY

J.D. Bronson jbronson at wixb.com
Tue May 4 08:04:35 PDT 2004

At 09:49 AM 05/04/2004, Bill Moran wrote:
>>Then how do I get data from one segment to the other w/o using a router
>>and yet at the same time keeping 'arp' happy ?
>
>You don't.  That's what a router does.  If you want to move data between
>two different networks you either need a router, or you need to cheat (like
>you currently are) and just ignore the arp messages.
>
>You can just turn on forwarding on the BSD machine with the two NICs and it
>will act as a router for you.
>
>--
>Bill Moran

Thanks again for all the time for explanations.
Since everything works fine the way it is (with the arp mesgs I can turn
off with systcl and hence solve that) would there be any benefit for
turning on forwarding
or just leaving things as they are?

Thanks!

  -JDB

--
J.D. Bronson
Aurora Health Care // Information Services // Milwaukee, WI USA