Using FreeBSD disconnected on a notebook

Murray Taylor murraytaylor at bytecraftsystems.com
Mon May 3 18:25:47 PDT 2004

I Think that there was something in a SysAdmin mag
( http://www.samag.com/ ) regarding this ...

It was based on the availability of / ip number granted / ... from
dhclient. After checking that the the appropriate services were started
up.

I (creak) think it was to do with roaming users in a university
environemt...

mjt

On Tue, 2004-05-04 at 06:04, Stephen Moriarty wrote:
> I'm trying to configure FreeBSD on my notebook such that when it's
> docked at the office, I'm able to take advantage of networked resources
> - NIS, amd, NFS. When I'm away, I want to selectively, and preferably
> automatically, take advantage of the more limited network resources,
> which usually includes none of the previous examples. Surely, someone
> else has already solved this. The only reference I found were relative
> to email.
>
> At this point, my thought is to disable the above network services
> until after I've logged in, but this precludes the use of NIS to login.
> I would have to always login to a local account.
>
> Thanks in advance for any assistance.

> This Email has been scanned for Viruses by MailMarshal.
Murray Taylor
Special Projects Engineer
Bytecraft Systems & Entertainment
P: +61 3 8710 2555