Freebsd

Luke Kearney lukek at meibin.net
Mon May 3 18:01:20 PDT 2004

On Mon, 03 May 2004 20:52:30 -0400
XylonMaster <xylonmaster at optonline.net> granted us these pearls of wisdom:

> I am a begginer in unix and would like to know which freebsd version is
> considered the most stable and reliable. So far i have the freebsd 4.2
> powerpack, but am wondering if the downloaded version of freebsd 5.1, 5.2
> will allow me to install freebsd 4.2 third-party software form the 4.2
> powerpack edition i have puchased 3 years ago.

If out and out stability is what you are after then 4.9 is probably the
one you want. 4.2 is a little dated now and is missing some of the new
drivers that you might like to have available to you. There is nothing
wrong with 5.X it is very slick and has some nice new features but IMHO
you might get better mileage from 4.9 to begin with. Dual booting with
4.9 is a piece of cake too.

Enjoy

LukeK

--